Recently I read a news article about how the “Vaccine Mistrust Spreads To The Developing World“, where obviously a news story from a place like Afghanistan can be completely accurate or a total farce. I have no way of verifying any of it.
However, it is very concerning and down right scary to think that people would be choosing to brave Polio than take the (unfounded) risk of Autism, or any of the other associated risks of being vaccinated.
(I included a link to the Polio wikipedia page because I think it’s important to take a minute to recognize just how devastating Polio can really be)
Now, this isn’t exactly math so much as a comparison but just follow me on this for a moment:
- You know that vaccines prevent X, Y and Z… and despite the fear that it may cause Autism, you get your child vaccinated.
- You deny vaccinations for your child and now risk contracting X, Y and Z… and despite the fear that it may cause Autism, your child could STILL be Autistic.
- Your child may become Autistic.
- You now risk contracting X, Y, Z and becoming Autistic PLUS you also put babies, children and others at risk of X, Y, Z that are not yet or unable to be vaccinated.
- A child that may become impaired/disabled, with a possibility for life long dependence on a guardian/care provider.
- A child that may face illness, life long health issues, neurological impairment/disability, disfigurement, paralysis, death… PLUS, you also put babies, children and others at risk that are not yet or unable to be vaccinated.
To me, the logic is pretty straight forward.
I’m not saying that I don’t recognize the rather questionable ingredients that are used… I’m not saying that vaccines couldn’t be safer.
However, to not vaccinate for fear of Autism really makes no sense to me at all. Mostly because even non-vaccinated children can be Autistic. But also because of the HUGE RISK in doing so.
And it’s not just your risk. You put others at risk as well. A baby may not be able to survive a battle with vaccine preventable illnesses… people with weakened immune systems may not be able to survive them either. They are either not yet vaccinated or unable to be vaccinated. They depend on you and I.
Safe Vaccine Advocacy
Being pro vaccine safety is entirely different than being anti-vaccine.
If you push for safer vaccines, I’ll support you. Even vaccine makers can admit that they could be safer.
Safer schedules? I’m no scientist. I can find articles arguing back and forth, from doctors no less, so I’m not in a position to say but I don’t question it so long as the vaccines are still given.
Don’t react emotionally, don’t base life and death decisions on a Youtube video.
Do the math for yourself and ask yourself, what risks are you really avoiding and more importantly, what risks are you really taking?